This is Hyde Daily Photo Volume 1 (2006-2011) which is now in archive mode. For recent photographs please visit Hyde Daily Photo Volume 2. Additional material and links to blogger friends can be found at Hyde DP Xtra.

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Exchange Building 1876: Gone for a Burton


The Exchange Building on Market Street used to house the Hyde branch of the tailors Montague Burton. At one time the name of the firm was synonymous with high-class menswear at a reasonable price. My own impression over recent years is that the quality and choice hasn't kept pace with the opposition. I wasn't surprised to note recently that the premises have been vacated.

Whether the phrase Gone for a Burton relates to the firm or has some other origin is a matter of debate.

8 comments:

Tom said...

What would the building have Exchanged in the first place Gerald... would it have been like a 'Corn Exchage'?

AlohaTrevella said...

What a neat anecdote, I love explanantions of common phrases, usually they are pretty uncommon!
Tag your it! Check my blog for instructions...

Jenny said...

Hi there, sorry I haven't visited in a while! I am enjoying your current crop of photos! Meanwhile, I am tagging you! (Jazzy from Tuzla tagged me!) Come to my blog to learn more!

qualcosa di bello said...

i found you via one deep breath...& since i cannot travel every day of the year, i do love the photo blogs. yours is fantastic. & your link list is very impressive. i hope to spend a bit more time exploring. thank you for such a fine blog!

Bettey said...

I love photographing old buildings. I love the history behind it! Thanks for sharing!

On another note, you have been tagged! Please visit latest blog entry at http://hoodphotography.blogspot.com/2007/10/lens-day-automobile.html for more details!

CrazyCow said...

I love your blog, so I've also tagged you. By now you will know what that means, but you are still welcome to visit me at Durban Daily Photo.

Matt said...

Too many of these opening now. One not so far from Hyde. It's a shame because this place was good in its day, though was rather limited with regards to its stock range because of the size of the ground floor.

I used to go in here a lot.

Gemma Millington said...

Hiya I worked at Burtons in Hyde from 1994 for about 12 years, best years of my life, Arcadia Group owned the whole building, all 3 storeys and rented the floors out, Burtons made money before we opened the doors to trade. This store closed down due to selling the building. I was gutted as I made so many friends and I still see so many customers around Hyde who know me as The Burton girl haha..Nice to see this building is still trading as a local business :-)

Unless otherwise stated, all photographs on this site are copyright © 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 Gerald England.

In most cases, clicking on the photograph will reveal a larger-sized image.

Followers

Cluster Map