This is Hyde Daily Photo Volume 1 (2006-2011) which is now in archive mode. For recent photographs please visit Hyde Daily Photo Volume 2. Additional material and links to blogger friends can be found at Hyde DP Xtra.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Allotments


These allotments are just off Wood End Lane. Security in such places are tight these days as confirmed by the presence of an alarm. I had to poke my camera lens through the metal bars of a fence to get this picture of the valley of Gower Hey Brook.

At one time there were allotments all the way across to Gower Road and the trees were not so thick. See what the area used to look like almost a hundred years ago on Old Hyde.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What can we find here? What do people plant in their allotment?

Have fun at the Red Lion!

Thanks for visiting Norwich Daily Photo

joy
Your Love Coach

Lizzy said...

My dad used to keep chickens here about 40 years ago, we used to go round with him to various houses where he sold the eggs. I remember him keeping chickens in the shed at home under an infra red lamp - I guesss they didn't have electricity down at Woodend Lane.

Tom said...

I had many happy times down there Gerald, I am sure I have some pictures from around there.

duopastorale said...

What do they keep in the allotments for an alarm? Shame.

Tom said...

After reading this and your other post I have quickly thrown a post together about my dads allotment down there.
The alarm is there because for years now youths have broken into these and other allotments and smashed them up, killing chickens, ducks, and pigeons. The pull up or destroy the 'veg' plots. This is nothing new, it as been going on for over 40 years on and off. On my post I have a picture of my dad with one of his ptgeons, that was taken in 1970 and damage was being done then.
Back then if caught they would be given a good hiding.. now you can't even say boo to then or you, yourself would be introuble.

Unless otherwise stated, all photographs on this site are copyright © 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 Gerald England.

In most cases, clicking on the photograph will reveal a larger-sized image.

Followers

Cluster Map