This is Hyde Daily Photo Volume 1 (2006-2011) which is now in archive mode. For recent photographs please visit Hyde Daily Photo Volume 2. Additional material and links to blogger friends can be found at Hyde DP Xtra.

Sunday, April 01, 2007

A Public Mail-box


The DP theme for April is "a public mail-box"

I've shown you a standard pillar box and also a small post-box as well as the sorting office on Hamnett Street.

So now I'm displaying this double pillar box located opposite the Post Office.

The links below will lead you to other worldwide DPs participating in this month's theme. I'll be updating this page at intervals throughout today and tomorrow as the different sites come on stream.

1. Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) ~~ 2 Tokyo (Japan) ~~ 3 Singapore by Zannnie ~~ 4 Bandung (Indonesia) ~~ 5 Sydney by Sally (Australia) ~~ 6 Newcastle (Australia) ~~ 7 Singapore by Keropokman ~~ 8 Vantaa (Finland) ~~ 9 Melbourne by John, (Australia) ~~ 10 Stavanger (Norway) ~~ 11 London by Ham (UK) ~~ 12 Melbourne by Michael, (Australia) ~~ 13 Nelson (New Zealand) ~~ 14 Port Vila (Vanuata) ~~ 15 Rotterdam (Netherlands) ~~ 16 St Kilda (Australia) ~~ 17 Budapest (Hungary) ~~ 18 Tuzla (B&H) ~~ 19 Hyde (UK) ~~ 20 Maple Ridge (Canada) ~~ 21 Grenoble (France) ~~ 22 Greenville, SC (USA) ~~ 23 Villigen (Switzerland) ~~ 24 Albuquerque, NM (USA) ~~ 25 Mazatlan (Mexico) ~~ 26 Montréal (Canada) ~~ 27 Stayton, OR (USA) ~~ 28 Shanghai (China) ~~ 29 Arradon (France) ~~ 30 Sequim, WA (USA) ~~ 31 Newcastle upon Tyne (UK) ~~ 32 Seattle, WA by Kim (USA) ~~ 33 Minneapolis, MN (USA) ~~ 34 Millerton by Sharon, CT (USA) ~~ 35 Cottage Grove, MN (USA) ~~ 36 Naples, FL (USA) ~~ 37 Jakarta (Indonesia) ~~ 38 Tel Aviv (Israel) ~~ 39 Auckland (New Zealand) ~~ 40 Vatican via Brussels (Belgium) ~~ 41 Stockholm (Sweden) ~~ 42 Boston, MA (USA) ~~ 43 New York City, NY (USA) ~~ 44 Paris (France) ~~ 45 Sydney by Nathalie (Australia) ~~ 46 Wailea, HI (USA) ~~ 47 Saint Paul MN by Carol (USA) ~~ 48 Mexico by Poly ~~ 49 Cape Town (South Africa) ~~ 50 Kitakami (Japan) ~~ 51 Little Rock, AR (USA) ~~ 52 Madrid (Spain) ~~ 53 Manila (Philippines) ~~ 54 Menton (France) ~~ 55 Monmouth County, NJ (USA) ~~ 56 Monte Carlo (Monaco) ~~ 57 Oliver (Canada) ~~ 58 Seoul (Korea) ~~ 59 Tenerife (Spain) ~~ 60 Joplin, MO (USA) ~~ 61 Lubbock, TX (USA) ~~ 62 San Diego, CA (USA) ~~ 63 Nottingham (UK) ~~ 64 Kyoto (Japan) ~~ 65 Cork (Ireland) ~~ 66 Ampang (Malaysia) ~~ 67 Miami, FL (USA) ~~ 68 Selma, NC (USA) ~~ 69 Seattle, WA by Susan (USA) ~~ 70 London by Jonemo (UK) ~~ 71 Torun (Poland) ~~ 72 Santa Clara, CA (USA) ~~ 73 Saarbrücken (Germany) ~~

30 comments:

Unknown said...

Ah... the original.... I see most Commonwealth countries have post box that is so similar to UK ones :-)

It will be fun visiting post boxes today....

Kate said...

Unique! Also a unique way to post bloggers.

julia said...

Quiet similar to some of ours. By magic I am included. Would this be a question? What is the connection, if any, between your previous two posts!!jfmpktuz

Outhouse Capital of Canada said...

very nice, much better than the plain Canadian boxes

isa said...

Who knew UK offers so many models - this one is truly a deluxe one...

Anonymous said...

Red is very popular today. Most mailboxes in the US will be blue I'm sure.

edwin s said...

Stick a motorized arm on it and it's a Dalek in disguise. Good shot.

Ham said...

Ah yes - I considered a "two for the price of one" pic, too

Susan said...

A first glance at this made me feel a bit cross eyed. No I am not seeing double, am I?

Kim said...

Oooo Gerald, this is a very nice variety indeed. Thank you for displaying so many different variations for us now. I like this double very much.
-Kim

kuanyin333 said...

Two for one...a Gemini?

Sally said...

Twin ERIIs....surely one is enough?

My faves are the octagonal VRs you see occasionally. Think they're the oldest?

Dsole said...

Red boxes... I wonder why there's no blue or green boxes :)

Jazzy said...

i like it, mail box is huge, the mail in your part of the world must be very important =)

Jilly said...

Yours was the first red mailbox I saw this morning and a double at that. Nice shot. When did those double mail boxes appear in England, I wonder?

A box like that absolutely says Britain to me and everyone else too, I've no doubt.

Jilly x

Andreea said...

so very english :)

alice said...

It reminds me of my first school English lessons: "John goes every day to the Post Office..."Bon dimanche, Gerald!

Eric said...

A double letter catcher...pas mal!

Ben Nakagawa said...

Those old looking one is very artistic. Very nice.

Annie said...

Hi Gerald. I've been wondering, as I've looked as public mail boxes, how long they will be found on the streets. It's seems there are fewer here in the US than there used to be and I'm imagining that it's because there's less use of postal services by the public, what with telephone and internet communications.

Mandi said...

Very nice, very British! And not as scruffy as ours!! :-)

Meg said...

So, can you kind of date a mailbox by the initial before the R on old English mailboxes - would that be right?

Anonymous said...

A much more uplifting mailbox than the stark blue atrocities in the US. Thank you for posting your cheery pillar-box.. and thank you for including me in your list!

Felicia said...

ERII has her stamp everywhere! Thanks for your kind comment on my blog - I'll look forward to your 365th post! :)

Anonymous said...

Gerald, Thanks for visiting Asheville Daily Photo. I wish we had nice red mailboxes in our city...and I agree, I really can't wait for the Jedi ones to go off to a galaxy far, far away...I understand they are only going to be visiting our planet for 3 weeks.

Ming the Merciless said...

I love the stately structure and color of your (British) mailbox.

The mailboxes in NYC look like trash cans and are not pretty. I looked everywhere to find some mailboxes that different or interesting but they all look the same.

So I decided to do it from a different ventage point, ie. from my apartment window. :-)

Have a good weekend.

Deb said...

The double slots resemble eyes.
Very classy box!

Tomate Farcie said...

When I was a kid, I had a coin bank that looked just like this box! You had to deposit the coins through the "mail slots" and you retrieved them by opening the "door" just like the real thing, I guess?

Ame said...

Very cute box Gerald...why does the shape remind me of a roll-on stick deodorant? LOL! And thanks for making me part of the "official Gerald Theme Day List!"

Have a great week!
=)

Anonymous said...

Superb double version!

Unless otherwise stated, all photographs on this site are copyright © 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 Gerald England.

In most cases, clicking on the photograph will reveal a larger-sized image.

Followers

Cluster Map