This memorial is all that is left of Hyde Lad's Club, opened in 1930 by Prince Henry, third son of George V.
It is a rebuild of the memorial which was "knocked down" in February.
The Club was on Beeley Street - see photos on Hyde Cheshire.
According to Thomas Middleton's History of Hyde (1932)
The Hyde's Lads' Club is one of the most novel social ventures of the day, and has excited interest throughout the country. It was founded by Mr. J.W.A. Danby, Chief Constable Of Hyde, and was opened on October 5th, 1928 in a room in the Town hall. As the membership rose to 316 in the first three weeks, the club was removed to the Wesleyan School on Water Street, where it continued to flourish. Then Mr. Danby acquired the Old Police Buildings and site in Beeley Street; the building was transformed; games rooms, library, reading-room and small lecture rooms were adapted from existing rooms; a large assembly room was made out of the old court room, and a billiards room was arranged beneath it. A large hall and gymnasium was erected on part of the site; and when completed the premises provided for every phase of work associated with such a club.
The new buildings were opened by H.R.H. Prince Henry, Duke Of Gloucester, K.G., on February 6th, 1930, and were inspected by the Home Secretary, the Right Honrable, J.R. Clynes, M.P. in 1931. The club has received the warm commendation of some of the leading social reformers of the day. The main purpose of the Club is the prevention of juvenile crime, and to rescue those who are criminally inclined by bringing them into contact with clean-living boys, and transferring their inclinations into a more healthy channel. The principal features of the Club are games, physical training and gymnastics, classes in First Aid, Library, Dramatic Society, and other educational agencies, and each Sunday evening a short service is held. The boys are in the hands of fully qualified instuctors, whose services are voluntary. The Chief Constable's hope was that the Club may be looked upon as a place where boys may spend their spare time away from the streets, and improve themselves physically, religiously, and morally.
The notice above the name-slab mentions nothing about the good Mr. Danby but reads
TO COMMEMORATE HIS HONOUR JUDGE THOMAS HUGHES AUTHOR OF "TOM BROWN'S SCHOOLDAYS" WHO USED THIS BUILDING AS COUNTY COURT JUDGE DURING THE YEARS 1882-1896In the earlier 1990s it was demolished to make way for a car park - see photos of the demolition on Hyde Cheshire.
For more H posts visit ABC Wednesday