This is Hyde Daily Photo Volume 1 (2006-2011) which is now in archive mode. For recent photographs please visit Hyde Daily Photo Volume 2. Additional material and links to blogger friends can be found at Hyde DP Xtra.

Monday, December 22, 2008

Cattle on the Low


This was taken about ten past ten one Wednesday morning on Werneth Low Road.

"Low" derives from the Old English word hlaw meaning "round hill" - which is why Werneth Low is the highest not the lowest place in Hyde.

If you click for the bigger picture and look at the cow on the left, you might be able to see the spire of Hyde Chapel to its left and the tower of St George's Church to its right.

13 comments:

Wayne said...

The cows seem quite interested in what it is you're up to Gerald.

What a great view.

Debbie Courson Smith said...

Cows in the landscape make me smile.

magiceye said...

beautiful capture indeed!!

downsie21 said...

I believe the Low was the highest hill in Cheshire before re-organisation put us in Gtr. Manchester.

DJ Kirkby said...

I can see the spire but was more interested in the red trailer. What is it used for?

Don Wood said...

Nice piccie never saw the spire till you said enlarge it Thanks takes me back to when I was a little boy I love farms

Hilda said...

Fantastic view! Needless to say, I don't see cows in Metro Manila so this was a treat. That red thing really stands out. What is it?

Hilda said...

Oh, and thanks for the explanation about 'low' — that was very interesting.

KAZ said...

Thanks Gerald - it had never occured to me that Low wasn't an appropriate name.

Lois said...

I love the cows! This is a beautiful shot.

EG CameraGirl said...

I LOVE it that "low" is actually high. English is such a fun language. I can't imagine trying to learn it as a second language!

Judy said...

I like the way the red jumps out and the way the cows are looking at you.

Dave Richards said...

Nice to come across this picture. As a youngster I used to tramp up and around the Low a great deal.

Unless otherwise stated, all photographs on this site are copyright © 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 Gerald England.

In most cases, clicking on the photograph will reveal a larger-sized image.

Followers

Cluster Map